Congratulations! You are ready to buy a home.
Purchasing a home is an exciting life milestone and is a huge decision with so many factors to consider. Finding the right property can be a challenge for growing families. What may seem like a good fit now may not be the best choice for your family in the long run.
Here are our 5 best tips when buying a home for your growing family:
- Neighborhood – Do your research before looking at homes in neighborhoods that aren’t convenient for young families. Look into school districts, local parks, neighbors and proximity to doctors and hospitals. Consider the length of your commute to work so that you can maximize the amount of time you have to spend with your family.
- Space – How many kids do you want to have? Simple things like sharing a bathroom or closet space can become a hassle in the long run. Families with small children might want to look into an open-concept floor plan for safety reasons. A designated playroom might be a smart idea for your family, or maybe you’d prefer two levels instead of three. List out what your priorities before making the move.
- Affordability – Now that you know what you’re looking for, the next step is figuring out what type of home you can afford. A review of your income, savings, monthly expenses and debt will be necessary.
- Offer – Once you’ve found your ideal house, it’s time to get started with the financial and contractual side of the purchase. Let your CENTURY 21® real estate professional guide you through this process. Purchase contracts vary in length and terms from state to state, and sometimes within a state. Multiple offers on the same home are not uncommon, so you may only get one chance to make an offer that the seller will consider. That’s why it’s important to think carefully about your strategy. In most cases it is better to have your real estate professional present the offer.
- Inspection – Once you’ve made an offer, hire a professional home inspector to give the house a standard inspection and make sure that it is a safe home for your family.
Agents affiliated with the CENTURY 21 System are ready to make a commitment to help you capitalize on current market opportunities and assist you in making an informed decision. A CENTURY 21 Agent can help ensure you make the right choice for the long term, get a better understanding of different neighborhoods, schools, and market conditions, find a mortgage specialist, and more.